Michelle, a rehab nurse specialising in head injury rehabilitation, recently used BE Intent’s wellbeing software to provide support to one of her clients (Sarah) as part of her vocational return.
Sarah was about 4 months into her head injury rehab and had returned to her fulltime office role. She was still receiving support from Michelle and the team as needed, but the main focus was on promoting independence and getting back into her work. Sarah still had problems with fatigue and as such her pacing and scheduling skills were essential to achieve a graduated and successful increase in her work duties.
Michelle gave us her information on fatigue- and self-management and using this we created a tailored programme for Sarah in BE Intent. This meant that, while she was at her desk, Sarah would receive reminders every hour to take a break and pace herself; at the same time, she would also receive a “nugget” of wisdom about managing her fatigue, which reinforced the messages she received during her initial care with Michelle and the team.
We sat down with Sarah for a cup of tea to talk about her experience with BE Intent as part of her return to function. Two of the main areas in which she noticed BE Intent’s influence were:
- Being reminded of her fatigue management skills during the day, especially in periods of increased workload – times that she needed these skills the most.
- The feeling that she was being supported in the workplace without the need for too much practitioner input
So Sarah found the tool to be a fantastic support during her recovery. It meant that the material and messages that Michelle and the multidisciplinary team had taught Sarah during the early stages of her rehabilitation could be reinforced while she was back at work, speeding Sarah’s return to her normal lifestyle.
That’s a great outcome for all involved and we’re really glad that we could help. We’re looking forward to helping other clients and health professionals.
Supporting clients in their independence
- Working with Michelle, we created a fatigue management education package using BE Intent’s software
- Because it was using material that Michelle and her team already had, it was evidence-based and it aligned with the messages Sarah had received during earlier stages of her recovery
- Once all set up, Sarah received regular reminders throughout the day to motivate her to employ the self management skills she’d been taught
- As a result, Sarah found the tool a fantastic adjunct to the support she received from her health professionals
A quick note: to protect privacy we haven’t used the client’s or the therapist’s real names.